Presented by CBDStudy, a CBD research publication. CBDStudy may earn a commission from purchases made from the links in the article. However, all reviews are based on transparency and reviews are not influenced by monetization.
More often than not, shopping online for CBD products can feel like sorting through a big pile of fluff. Websites are full of buzzwords that seem to have little meaning, and companies make claims and promises that have no support. After spending hours trying to make sense of a cacophony of CBD noise, shoppers may be tempted to just close their eyes and pick something without looking.
This is an unfortunate consequence of the market being flooded with disreputable companies taking advantage of the newness of the industry. Their websites may look pretty and have lots of reassuring words, but there is little substance to their claims. When a company notes its level of transparency and traceability on every page, but it never produces any third-party lab results—or even the location of its hemp source—warning bells should go off. Any CBD company can use the jargon. Only the best can back it up and help their customers understand it.
Medterra doesn’t waste any time before it starts educating visitors. As soon as you hit the home page, you can take a quiz that helps the company make suggestions about products to consider. The company’s inventory can be a little intimidating to browse for people just beginning to learn about CBD, so this is a welcome feature. It will help you cut through the vast array of CBD oils, topicals, gummies, capsules and pet products, to find what you are looking for without getting lost in all the details.
Developers haven’t forgotten that you may have questions, though, which is why product pages all include extensive information about each item, what’s in it and what it’s best for. Most importantly, independent lab results are easy to find and easy to read once you know a few basic terms—which you can learn about on the Medterra website.
In addition to anticipating its customers’ questions, Medterra’s list of certifications and credentials makes the company one of the most credible in the CBD industry. It is U.S. Hemp Authority certified, which you can easily verify on the organization’s website. Its source farms are all-natural; and the farms and processors are registered with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture Hemp Research Pilot Program; processors are also ISO and Good Manufacturing practices certified.
Medterra’s products are well designed by a team of true experts, and it shows in the formulas used. CBD isolate is the base of a majority of the company’s inventory, but Medterra also makes robust broad-spectrum CBD oils with profiles that highlight benefits of specific cannabinoids for a targeted entourage effect. Products made by Medterra are potent, pure and rounded; their thoughtful creation and affordability keep satisfied customers coming back again and again.
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Also available in retail locations
- Affordable prices
- Special blends for targeted effects
- High level of transparency
- No full-spectrum products
- Not always clear which formula is being used
Medterra’s co-founder, Jay Hartenbach, studied biomedical engineering at Miami University, then got his master’s in engineering management before partnering with college friend J.P. Larsen to develop Medterra in 2016. Larsen had approached Hartenbach with the idea, and Hartenbach immediately understood that CBD could benefit a great number of people. They went to work creating the Medterra brand and products out of Hartenbach’s living room, and the company was official by 2017.
Medterra’s goals include raising the bar in the industry, educating everyone about CBD and creating products that will help every person and every pet. The company is well on its way to meeting those goals through its active participation in setting the foundation for the industry, and through developing its products based on careful research and advice from a full team of legitimate experts.
Medterra’s medical advisory board includes names like Dr. Jeanette Jacknin, the first dermatologist to speak on the science behind topical cannabinoids and skin disorders at the Annual American Academy of Dermatology conference, and Dr. Matthew Halpert, who specializes in efficacy research and holds a faculty position at the Baylor College of Medicine. The company even has a couple of veterinarians on its board, including Dr. Laura Catena, founder of ArmOR Hand animal-handling gloves.
Points of Interest
The Brightfield Group named Medterra one of the top five CBD companies for 2020 , due to its broad mainstream appeal. Even though Medterra is a relative newcomer to the CBD industry, it is already sold in drugstores and grocery stores all over the United States. The company’s high-quality topicals at low prices are generating interest in people who would not normally be interested in CBD; shoppers can now find Medterra CBD creams on the shelf next to the Bengay and IcyHot.
Typically, topicals that are made with a rich list of botanicals and natural or organic ingredients are very expensive. When you add CBD into the mix, they become inaccessible for many because of the exorbitant price. Medterra, however, has managed to formulate CBD creams that absorb efficiently, relieve pain and moisturize skin with natural and organic ingredients, at a low price. The company’s topicals start at just $19.99 for a cooling cream with 250mg of CBD isolate.
Medterra’s vertical integration means the company has complete control over every part of the process, from seed to shelf. It also means that every facility must be inspected and approved in order for the company to be certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority.
The organization recognizes companies that adhere to the highest standards in the industry for cultivating hemp, processing CBD and creating products for the consumer market. Medterra was one of the first 13 companies to be certified, and it proudly displays the seal of approval on its website.
Any company that wants the U.S. Hemp Authority’s certification starts with an inspection of its hemp farms and processing facilities. Medterra uses farms that are registered with Kentucky’s Hemp Research Pilot program, and the state’s regulations are some of the most stringent in the country. Kentucky’s history with hemp goes back to the first settlers to move to the area centuries ago. The tradition of growing the best hemp in the U.S. has only recently become legal again under very close supervision by the Department of Agriculture, and Medterra is a proud participant.
Medterra’s processing facilities are also located in Kentucky, and they are Good Manufacturing Practices and ISO certified. Additionally, the Center for Food Safety has given Medterra an “A” on its Hemp CBD Scorecard . The organization evaluates companies based on their production and processing methods, testing protocols, and transparency to consumers, and receiving an “A” means the company meets some of the highest standards in the CBD industry.
Testing and Extraction
Medterra uses a CO2 extraction method for its CBD, which results in a cleaner, smoother taste, and pure, potent oils . The company follows all state testing regulations, and it performs purity testing at every step of the process.
Once the final phase of extraction is complete for each batch, the company sends it off for third-party testing that confirms your CBD is free of heavy metals, bacteria, microbial life, mycotoxins and pesticides.
You can find the third-party lab results right on each product page by clicking on the “Lab Purity Testing” button, as well as on the top and bottom menus under “Certificates of Analysis.” The company provides the most up-to-date results, and you can find historical results as well.
They are simple to decipher, with clear delineation of CBD and minor cannabinoid content, and you don’t need a degree in chemistry in order to understand how the products fare in the purity department.
Medterra: Product Lineup
Medterra’s list of products is comprehensive and complete. There are just enough options with each format to keep things interesting, but not so many that it’s overwhelming. You can find just about anything you are looking for through the company’s website, including oils, topicals, edibles, and even products for your furry friends.
The CBD oils and capsules all have a base of MCT oil, and everything is made with CBD isolate unless otherwise noted. One of the things we appreciate most about Medterra’s product lineup is that it features all natural and organic ingredients where practical, yet prices are kept at an accessible level.
- Pure CBD: This CBD isolate formula is suspended in MCT oil, and you can choose between concentrations of 500mg, 1,000mg and 3,000mg per 30mL bottle.
- Immune Boost Formula: Medterra’s Immune Boost Formula is only available in one concentration: 750mg of CBD isolate is blended with elderberry, echinacea, vitamin C, ginger root, ashwagandha, reishi mushroom and lemon balm to support a healthy immune response. Available in 30mL bottles.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD: Made with broad-spectrum CBD and MCT oil, Medterra’s potent formula comes in citrus, strawberry mint or natural flavoring. Choose 1,000mg or 2,000mg concentrations in a 30mL bottle.
- CBG + CBD: This formula delivers a 1:1 concentration of CBD and CBG. Only one flavor (citrus) is available, and you can choose between 1,000mg and 2,000mg per 30mL bottle.
- Gel Capsules: Medterra’s gel capsules are made of CBD isolate fractionated in coconut-derived MCT oil for efficient absorption. Capsules come in bottles of 30, with 25mg or 50mg concentrations.
- Good Morning: Each two-capsule serving of Good Morning capsules contains 25mg of CBD, along with caffeine, B6, B12, L-tyrosine and L-theanine. Bottles contain 60 capsules each.
- CBD Melatonin: Unique to Medterra, these capsules dissolve under the tongue. Available in bottles of 30, a single spearmint-flavored tablet delivers 25mg of CBD and 10mg of melatonin, to help you get a better night’s sleep.
- Muscle Relief Pain Cream: This special formula includes menthol, 500mg or 1,000mg of CBD, peppermint oil, jojoba oil and aloe. Comes in a 1.7-ounce pump bottle.
- Rapid Cooling Cream: Medterra’s rapid cooling cream is great for sore muscles and joints. Choose between 250mg of CBD in a 1.7-ounce bottle or 750mg of CBD in a 3.4-ounce bottle. Also available in a roll-on format, with 250mg or 500mg of CBD in a one- or two-ounce bottle.
- CBD + Manuka Cream: Manuka honey is known around the world for its healing properties. Medterra has added this special ingredient to its CBD cream, along with 125mg or 250mg of CBD plus manuka honey in a two-ounce jar.
- Daytime Calm: This formula contains 25mg of CBD and 50mg of L-theanine, a compound that will help you feel relaxed without making you drowsy. Each bag contains 30 gummies.
- Sleep Tight: These CBD gummies contain 25mg of CBD, lemon balm and chamomile in order to promote a better night’s sleep. Available in bags of 30.
- Stay Alert: Medterra’s Stay Alert CBD gummies contain gingko biloba and green tea, along with the standard 25mg of CBD per gummy. Also available in bags of 30.
CBD for Pets
- CBD Oil for Dogs and Cats: Medterra’s pet CBD oil formulas come in beef or chicken flavors, or you can choose an unflavored oil to add to their food or water. Each 30mL bottle comes in 150mg, 300mg and 750mg concentrations.
- Soft Chews: Medterra’s CBD soft chews are formulated for anxious pets. The calming formula includes 10mg of CBD, as well as valerian root and L-tryptophan for extra relaxation.
- Joint Support Chews: These treats support joint health for older or arthritic pets. In addition to their 10mg each of CBD, they include a special blend of glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin. Each bag of treats contains 30 chews.
Lab Results and CBD Quality
We sent Medterra’s 500mg THC-free CBD to a third-party lab for testing, and were pleased to see that the bottle contained just a touch more CBD than noted on the bottle. The product was pure and free of impurities, and the lab detected no THC. To see full lab results, check out CBDStudy’s in-depth analysis of Medterra.
Our Medterra Shopping Experience
The actual act of shopping for Medterra’s CBD products is our least favorite part of using the company’s website. All of the issues we have with the site are more about web design than about the actual organization of the site, but little quirks to its operation cause some avoidable frustration.
Medterra is well organized as a whole, and the company makes sure you can easily find information about its background, its processes and what is in each product. However, there is no option to search for specific products, and the dropdown category menu is a pain to use.
Additionally, depending on the type of browser you have, product pages will automatically scroll all the way down to the reviews section without allowing time to read the content featured above. You have to keep scrolling back up and finding your place again if you are interested in actually reading about your products.
If you are not the kind of shopper who enjoys browsing through all of your options, the easiest way to find a product sure to satisfy is to take the quiz featured right at the top of the homepage. Just answer a few questions, and you will be taken to a page that offers the top three selections based on your answers.
You could also just go to your local Walgreens, Beuhler’s or CVS. Medterra’s THC-free formulas are now being sold all over the U.S. in mainstream brick-and-mortar retail locations, making it convenient for you to just swing by and pick up your CBD on your way to getting milk and bread.
Shipping and Returns
Medterra ships for free using standard shipping after you spend $99, but you can pay extra for expedited shipping if you simply cannot wait for your order. The company can send packages to all 50 U.S. states, the U.K. and Spain, and the warehouse does its best to process orders within two business days.
When a company is confident about its products, it offers a satisfaction guarantee. Medterra continues to demonstrate its excellence by letting customers have 30 days to decide if they are happy with their purchase. If for any reason you decide Medterra isn’t right for you, you can request a full refund minus shipping as long as you are within the 30-day window.
Final Thoughts on Medterra
Making CBD purchases can be intimidating. Shopping in stores puts the pressure on you to make a quick decision while a clerk stands by, waiting to make a sale, but shopping online can leave you wondering if any CBD company is truly transparent. Medterra is here to change the way you shop for CBD, because it puts everything out there in plain view for its customers. Every claim the company makes is verifiable, and there are often links to the documents right on the website.
Medterra wants to make quality CBD products accessible, understandable and affordable for everyone—and so far, it’s doing an outstanding job. The company’s prices are some of the lowest we have seen, and the quality of every product Medterra makes is exceptional. It uses all-natural and organic ingredients as the base for everything, including gummies and topicals, and the formulas are top of the line.
The CBD isolate used as the foundation for most of its products is absolutely pure and free of toxins and THC, and the broad-spectrum formula is robust, potent and rounded. Medterra is an example of what CBD companies should strive to be. Making your next purchase from this company means raising the bar on your wellness.
For more details about Medterra and its products, check out CBDStudy’s review here.
 Simone Rochfort et al. (2020). Utilisation of Design of Experiments Approach to Optimise Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Medicinal Cannabis. Sci Rep. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7272408/